Are you a bit overwhelmed with your new puppy? Is your new puppy chewing and biting everyone? Are you lost when it comes to teaching your puppy basic obedience? Pieces of the Universe is here to help! The puppy has a sensitive period in his development from birth to about 20 weeks old. This is the time when the puppy’s brain is like a sponge, ready to take on the world and all of life’s habits, that build the foundation for the rest of his life’s behaviors and personality. Puppy Kindergarten focuses on the skills that will help develop that strong foundation. Focusing on the puppy’s natural development, Puppy Kindergarten will help set the future for your Best Friend.
House Training foundations: Housebreaking, Chewing, Separation Anxiety
- Teach puppy to enjoy times alone
- Teach puppy to chew on appropriate toys
- Teach puppy to use the crate
- Teach puppy to not guard objects or food
- Teach puppy to go to the bathroom outside
Temperament Training Foundations: Handling and Biting
- Teach puppy to be gentle with humans
- Teach puppy to be gentle with dogs and other animals
- Teach puppy to be touched and groomed
- Teach puppy to be confident in stressful places such as vet office
Manners Foundations: Basic Obedience, Manners, Impulse Control
- Teach puppy to sit when greeting people
- Teach puppy to wait at doorways, cars or curbs
- Teach puppy impulse control by learning to settle
- Teach puppy to play safely with you by teaching tug
Socialization Foundations: Socializing to people, dogs and new environments
- Teach puppy to accept new people, objects, and animals
- Teach puppy confidence and reduce fear
Age: 8-12 weeks old when starting Puppy Kindergarten
Schedule: See class calendar for available dates and times.
Required Vaccines: DHLPP or DHPP vaccine (specifically Distemper and Parvo) at least 5 days before start of the first class.
**Note: If your puppy is younger than 8 weeks or you don’t have him yet, you are welcome to enroll in this class series without your puppy so you can learn the skills to start your puppy with confidence from day one. As soon as your puppy is old enough, or arrives, he may jump into the series.
Length: This class is $125 for four consecutive classes, unless a break is noted. Each session is approximately 1 hour per week. Each session will meet on the same day and time each week.
**Download a free copy of Dr Ian Dunbar’s books, Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy after Registering for this class. The option will be available when you submit your application.